Thursday, September 18, 2014

The Gratitude Challenge

Along with many others, I have been "nominated" to do the Gratitude Challenge. Accepted! Every day this week I've written down three things I am thankful for - here they are!

Monday:
  1. An AMAZING church/home group community here in Phnom Penh. I feel challenged, heard, and loved by this group, and even though the transience that is normal of expat community is difficult, I wouldn't trade it for anything.
  2. Skype, What's App, Facebook, email: they don't (and can't) replace in-person conversations and quality time, but they sure make living on the other side of the world more bearable.
  3. Air conditioning. I know this might sound frivolous but I really don't think my Canadian body will ever truly adapt to the tropical climate! Now that I'm pregnant, I appreciate it all the more, and I am thankful that we can afford to live in and go to places that have air con.
Home group trip to Kep, on the Cambodian seaside, in February of this
year. The transience of expat life is demonstrated by the fact that half
this group is no longer in Cambodia! We are so grateful for this
community, whether they are here or not!
Tuesday:
  1. A healthy foetus. Every time I go to a prenatal appointment, I am so thankful that Squeege is growing, moving, and healthy. S/he is a wiggler, just like Saméa was... very suspicious ;)
  2. A toddler who sleeps long and well: We made sure of this from a very young age and I am so thankful we did! She goes to bed around 6:30 every night and sleeps (or stays in her room) until past 7:00 every morning - what a joy!
  3. A wonderful husband who loves being a father: I love that we take equal responsibility in childcare, and how his (and our) worldview on marriage and parenting mean that I get to develop in my career while also having young children. I am keenly aware that I am of a privileged society and generation that enables this worldview.

My beautiful family, for whom I am thankful every day!
Wednesday:
  1. A career where I often feel challenged: even though consultancy work sometimes wears on me, I am grateful for the opportunities to stretch myself and learn as I go. This week I am writing an NGO partnership contract full of legal jargon, leading a Focus Group Discussion on Khmer staff perceptions of volunteer impact, completing a Letter of Interest for a grant for organisational development and capacity building, and finalising the preliminary framework for a macro-assessment database on the Cambodian development landscape. Definitely enough to keep me busy!
  2. A stimulating and fun book club with my Chab Dai colleagues: every Wednesday, we get together for lunch to discuss our current chapter. We vote on which books to read and take turns leading discussion. So far this year we've read Covey's The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (see our team's blog post about it here) and Brysk & Choi-Fitzpatrick's From Human Trafficking to Human Rights. This week we're starting Prahalad's The Fortune at the Bottom of the Pyramid.
  3. The freedom to dream about where my career is headed: unlike many people around the world, I will not have to have the same job my whole life. I have plans and dreams and I can make them happen. Yes, I work hard, but I am also just really lucky to have been born and raised in a country and family that gave me opportunities to learn and grow and build a good resume. And for that I am incredibly grateful.
Our weekly Chab Dai book club meeting at Alma Cafe
Thursday:
  1. All the wonderful ladies in my life! I have a group of best friends back home who have loved and accepted me for over a decade, and still keep in touch even though I live across the ocean. I also have amazing girlfriends here in Phnom Penh who understand me and do life with me in such beautiful and authentic ways. 
  2. The women in my family, especially my Mom, who have shown me what it means to be a strong woman, how to live out my faith in deep ways, how to pursue excellence and honesty. 
  3. My Dad: For raising my sisters and me with "I love you more today than I did yesterday and there is nothing you can ever do to change my love for you" and giving us the choice between the oak tree and the flower. For continuing to challenge me and allowing himself to be challenged by me. For being a feminist without needing the label. 
With my Mom and sisters in Hawaii last year
Friday:
  1. My Christian upbringing: some say that the only reason I am a Christian as an adult is because I was raised Christian and, frankly, I don't care. Aren't we all influenced in some way by the values and habits that were instilled in us as children? I am thankful that my parents raised me to know and experience God's grace, and also taught me to think critically so I could make my faith my own.
  2. Books: All the books! I am grateful for being literate and able to enjoy, learn from, and lose myself in books. Fiction, non-fiction, theological, fun, challenging - I love being a reader! I guess that's why I'm already in two book clubs and want to start a third!
  3. Airplanes: When Charlie's grandparents left Manitoba with their kids and headed to Greece to work with MCC, not only did the journey take days and days, but they left knowing they would not see their friends and family for years to come. Even though we can't afford to fly home as often as we would like, it is much easier and more realistic to see our home community more often. We have a couple friends who have already been to see us twice in 2 years! How amazing is that?!
Yes, this is me reading an e-book on the laptop.
It was a graphic novel and the pages were bigger
and better by turning the laptop sideways!
So that's it! Just a few of the things that I am thankful for. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment