Monday, September 15, 2014

Books We Love

Charlie and I both LOVE to read. Our reading styles are very different; if I love what I'm reading, I'll say, "Charlie, you have to read this book!" upon which he will either later read or not read the book in question. On the other hand, if Charlie is enjoying what he's reading, he likes to interrupt whatever I'm doing to read whole excerpts aloud to me, upon which I either graciously stop what I'm doing and listen, or snap, "Just a minute!" and proceed to listen or not listen to what he's saying.

It's not a perfect system. But we're working on it.

And we both LOVE to read!

And so, in honour of our love of the written word, here are our respective Top 10 Books That Have Had a Lasting Impact on Our Lives.

Julia

It took me a while to be OK with making this list, and then I remembered that I don't have to commit to it forever and ever, and I acknowledge that it may change, A LOT, in years to come. My main method for choosing my books was to choose ones that I enjoy going back to read wether in whole or in part, or books that touched me deeply and I kept thinking about long after finishing them. So here goes, and in no particular order:
  1. Walking With the Poor: Principles and Practices of Transformational Development by Bryant Myers
  2. Development as Freedom by Amartya Sen
  3. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
  4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
  5. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
  6. Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth by Richard J. Foster
  7. The Problem of Pain by C. S. Lewis
  8. The Giver by Lois Lowry
  9. Poor Economics: A Radical Rethinking of the Way to Fight Global Poverty by Abhijit V. Banerjee & Esther Duflo
  10. The Holy Bible, New Revised Standard Version
Charlie
  1. Dune by Frank Herbert 
  2. Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
  3. Pedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo Friere
  4. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
  5. Development as Freedom by Amartya Sen
  6. Walking with the Poor by Bryant L. Myers
  7. Ordering your Private World by Gordon MacDonald
  8. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  9.  Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
  10. The End of Poverty by Jeffrey Sachs




No comments:

Post a Comment