Saturday, October 10, 2009

What I am reading these days...

Well, if you haven't already guessed, most of my reading these days has been for academic purposes. It's a good thing I'm lovinf what I'm studying, then, eh?

A couple weeks ago, I had to read the summary of a book called Theory U, by Otto Scharmer. He challenges leaders to look at problem-solving from an unconventional perspective. He argues that we are blind to what he calls the “source dimension” of action, which is the inner place from which individuals operate. By listening to the attitudes and opinions of others, leaders can invite those around them into the decision-making process and shape how their teams respond to situations.

As I've mulled over the article again and again over the past days, I think what really stuck with me was his explanation of the different levels of listening that we employ when interacting with one another. He desribes four levels of listening: download, factual, empathic, and generative.

Download and factual listening are superficial ways of listening, wherein we are either reconfirming (download) or disconfirming (factual) our previsouly held beliefs and knowledge. He challenges us to push past that and learn to listen to others on a deeper level, either empathically (e.g. walking in someone else’s shoes), but preferably generatively (i.e. going beyond mere communication into communion with someone).

Really, this theory is intrinsic to being an effective CED practitioner. By learning to listen to those we are working with and for, not only can we move from symptom level response to addressing systemic root level issues, we are achieving some of the very principles that define CED: participation and inclusiveness.

Very fun stuff, no?! Speaking of fun, and because I don't want to mislead anyone by allowing them to think all I do is study, here are a couple picture of the girls and me at B Side last night! It was a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment