Friday, August 27, 2010

Haiti: some pictures

Because the internet connection in Haiti wasn't ideal (there was about a 4x4' area in the entrance of the hotel where you could get a signal) I wasn't able to post any pictures during my trip. Now that I'm home I can share a little piece of my trip to Cap-Haïtien. You will notice there are not many pictures of the kids at the camp, and none of individual faces, and I assure you it was deliberate. There are many reasons for this, and Charlie and I will elaborate our ideas on the subject at a later time, but one reason is that, in the wake of the January 12 earthquake, one of the most disturbing and pressing issues that has arisen is the drastic increase in child trafficking in Haiti. The most heard of case was when an American team tried to traffic over 30 children out of the country to be adopted into American families, even though many of the children still had known parents or relatives in Haiti. (See this New York Times article about that story.) But many traffickers do not have such "good intentions" for the children they traffic. All that to say that the less information about vulnerable children (e.g. names, locations, camp info, photos) I post on the internet, the less I may be contributing to a very well-connected, very resourceful network. You never know who may be looking, even at this relatively insignificant blog. So without further ado, enjoy some of the sights I did while in Haiti!

The view of the Cap-Haitien bay

The mountain overlooking Cap-Haïtien is more and more inhabited as the population grows faster than construction can keep up.

Girls jumping rope and boys playing soccer; so some things transcend culture and country!


No comments:

Post a Comment